Worlds First Sps Reef Model Tank,

brandon429

Hello and welcome to Aquazone! :blush:

Very well done my friend! Eventhough I'm a freshwater fan, I can understand how difficult it is to maintain such a system! The reef keepers of AZ will appreciate it even more.

May I ask you where are you from and how did you find AZ?

Keep pico-reefing! :)

thank you for the warm welcome! I found this site by following viral links of my video that have already been posted on this site somewhere. youtube doesn't give me the thread, only the site address of where my video has been seen. I looked around and did not see it, so I stuck it here in the reefs forum as best I could look for it. My google translator doesn't work very well so I have been clicking around in forums written in greek which I cannot read but the text looks very interesting!!!

Brandon

moderator can you merge these threads I have hit the wrong button, did not mean to make a new thread. Im having to guess at which one of these buttons says reply! :blush:

Έγινε επεξεργασία - salamander

Welcome to Aquazone :blush:

At the end of the page you can choose the english skin for your convenience.

Some more info about your system would be interesting.

Μy friend,welcome to aquazone :blush:

Could you please tell us some more about the equipment that you use to keep that small world in balance? :)

Hi Brandon and welcome to our forum.Did you still keep that pico reef?

very nice to meet you all I have enjoyed seeing the pictures on your forum and translating what I could. the skin helped a lot now this is easier. may I say first that where you all live would be considered my vacation dream so i wish we were chatting in person!

This reef above was sold because at the time I had three more tank setups to turn into reefs for me to keep, and someone offered me a good sum of money for it at a show. a really good sum, I dont 'know if it's alive now. normally I don't sell my science, that's why I post it for free across the web and help others replicate it.

I have other tanks, they are painted white, brown and black, I still have the white and black one. These were meant to be betta fish tanks. I have never seen these before or after, too bad they aren't for sale to the public anymore as the company has either gone out of business or stopped this particular production line. One day in my local fish store he had three on the shelf and everyone was remarking about them, so I promptly bought them all because I had the idea to turn them into SPS reefs with tiny oxygen pump refugiums.

The vase reef is evaporation restricted but not sealed. there must be a positive pressure vent in any airstone system ... the micro tank however is fully sealed unless the lid is taken off for cleaning. You can see the metal clamp that holds down the lid and the weight of the little canopy presses even more. No salinity shift is handy in any reef, but critical in a half gallon one. The SPS love it, I just don't have fancy lights so they don't turn blue or anything. THe lighting is mis stated in the video, it's 13 watts x2 bulbs, plus one in front, so it runs at 80 + watts per gallon literally ha ha that's a fact not a joke (so it is fanned)

The vase reef is the best one though, because it represents the absolute zero in terms of bare bones aquarium work. It is not any different than if I were designing it to keep a goldfish, only Id use freshwater rocks and water. THis is artscience for me. coaxing a reef to grow in a fishbowl, and the tank is far cheaper and stable than any other setup I think because people spend time dosing this and that, buying new parts which alters the balances, and many seem to walk a tightrope their whole time with marine tanks, never relaxing with them. a reefbowl will run for anyone, and they produce coral, not just keep it. I prune all speciments regularly and sell or trade especially xenia. the fact that they run with no dosing means assortment of retail items is also not needed. lastly, I wanted to show people that with practical science you don't have to be far away from something you may have always wanted, anyone can keep a reef in my opinion then if the real reefs die off we can ship them all in for reseeding and do something good with this hobby.

looking at this picture shows how I did the sealing. i paid a glass cutter to cut small holes in the lid, the the lines to the heater and pump were cut, ran through grommets, then resoldered! can you see that detail in this pic? hope so

nice to meet you all

brandon

post-16124-1256955875_thumb.jpg

Έγινε επεξεργασία - brandon429

here are some construction pics of the vase one

these pictures will help other builders with ideas and creation sketches. I drew the sketches in 2000 and built the tanks in 2001

moderator *please merge this thread with my reefmodel I didn't mean to post separate!

post-16124-1257007246_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257007260_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257007278_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397770_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397783_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397794_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397805_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397823_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397838_thumb.jpg

post-16124-1257397896_thumb.jpg

Hi Brandon,

Although I am a freshwater fan and more specifically an African Cichlids fan,

I find your structures very elegant and eye catching.

Congrats ! :blush:

Andreas

Nice! :blush:

Brandon,how long was this vase reef running?Did you do any water changes?Did you use any circulation or air pumps?

its been running for 4 years and it uses only an airstone and a preset heater just like a fishbowl. the lid restricts evaporation and directs splatter back down into the bowl, no saltcreep, all self contained

Δημιουργήστε ένα λογαριασμό ή κάντε είσοδο για να σχολιάσετε

Πρέπει να είστε μέλος για να προσθέσετε ένα σχόλιο

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Δημιουργήστε ένα νέο λογαριασμό. Είναι εύκολο!

Δημιουργία λογαριασμού

Σύνδεθείτε

Έχετε ήδη λογαριασμό; Συνδεθείτε εδώ.

Είσοδος